How Do I?

Where do I vote?

Click here to search for polling place using your address or contact the County Board of Registrars.

Where do I file a land deed?

Land deeds are filed in the Probate Judge's office.

How do I obtain a 911 address?

911 addresses are assigned through the E911 office.  It is helpful to know your nearest street's name and your nearest neighbors.

How do I obtain a passport?

Visit for detailed information regarding applying for a passport and international travel. Where you apply for a passport depends on when you need your U.S. passport. Go to the Where to Apply page at to determine where you apply based on when the passport is needed.

How do I obtain a marriage license?

The Probate Judge's office issues marriage licenses.  Legal age to marry without parental consent is 18. Both parties must be present to apply for a license.

How do I vote absentee?

You can request a ballot up to 45 days in advance through the mail, or you can visit the Circuit Clerk/Absentee Election Manager's office.

How do I register to vote?

The minimum voting age is 18.  You must register at least 30 days prior to any election to be entitled to vote in that election.  In order to register, visit the Board of Registrars' office.  It is helpful to know your 911 address and social security number.

Do I need a license or a permit to open a business?

Yes. If the business is located inside the city limits, a license will be issued by the city. If the business is outside of the city limits and inside the county, the county Probate Judge will issue your license.

When I sell my car, do I keep the tag?

Yes. You may also be eligible for a credit against future taxes. If the tag has not expired, take the tag and your original receipt to the Probate Judge for a credit voucher. If you desire to obtain a refund instead of a credit, you must provide proof that you no longer own the vehicle (i.e. bill of sale, insurance statement, etc).

Where do I get a car tag / license plate?

Car and truck tags are issued by the Probate Judge. You have 20 calendar days from the date of purchase to register your vehicle. New residents moving from another state have 30 days to obtain a new plate.  It is mandatory to bring your automobile registration and title.  New residents from another county in Alabama can wait until their next renewal to change plates. Tags are usually valid for a period of one year from the date they are issued.  New residents to Coosa County must bring proof of residency (examples include utility bill, rental agreement, driver's license with Coosa address,etc.).

How do I file for homestead exemption?

Visit the Revenue Commissioner's office between January 2 and April 1.